Sunday, June 5, 2011

Concerned Parent

3189 Skaha Lake Road,
Penticton, British Columbia,
V2A 7C3

May 25, 2011

Mr. Kleats
Head Hockey Coach
123 Main Street
Sportstown, British Columbia,
V2A 1W3


Dear Mr. Kleats,


My name is Gage Buchanan. I am the father of Rupert Buchanan, a present hockey player of your team. This is my son's first year of hockey and I couldn't be more happier. He loves this sport! 


Mr. Kleats, as a coach you are highly admired by all. As a volunteer coach, we appreciate your time you spend, the relationships you build, and the want to grow as a team, with everyone of our children. There has never been a worry in my mind, that my child was on the wrong team with the wrong coach. Your tactics have exceeded not only my child's expectations but the publics. Taken on this job is a huge commitment and your willingly personality only comforts us. However, I am writting to you today to express my concern for not only myself but many other parents as well. Mr. Kleats, my concern to you is in regards of the change in your coaching dynamics.

Please understand I show deep appreciation for taking your own time out of your own life to show my child the sport of hockey. However, I have recently noticed the regular Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday practices have been cancelled and new short notice practices have been incorperated. Unfortunately, my son hasn't been able to come to many of these new practices as he has other commitments through out his week. I am well aware of many other players on your team who like my son are in the same boat. As a father, I too have my own weekly schedule, and as much as I love my son playing hockey, it is difficult. It would be extremely beneficial for not only myself and my son but the rest of the hockey team to have practices back on a schedule.

With these last minute practices being held, things have been a bit unorganized. I have noticed you too, seem unorganized. Now, please know I am not here to judge, and have no right too. I have no idea whats going on in your life but find it hard to watch my son fool around in practice, while you are making personal phone calls. I am paying for my sons uniform, tournaments, rink time, and gear. I am not paying my son to play around. I wish to see my son get the coach who I have seen once before. The coach who comes prepared to practices, cares about each child, and has a huge heart for the game itself.

This leads me to my main concern as a parent. Mr. Kleats, your goal as a coach has shifted in my eyes. The want for each child to get out there and understand the game, has been dictated by the want to win. It is nice knowing my son played on the team who won the city cup, but on the other hand knowing he only got to play 5 minutes a game, is a worry some. Rupert, has become afraid to play as he doesn't want to dissapoint you. Hockey, has become a form of punishment.The calmness and patience you once shared with all of us has been lost. My sons want to play hockey is now soon to be lost.

I appreciate your time in reading this. If you have any questions or concerns you may reach me at 1-(250)488-7564. I would love to hear from you.

Thank you!


Sincerely,

(signature)

Gage Buchanan

No comments:

Post a Comment